Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Consume a lot of fruits, vegetables, nuts, olive oil, legumes, and fish.
- Drink lots of purified water
- Foods like ginger, turmeric, green tea have anti-inflammatory properties
- Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids like fish such as salmon, tuna, and trout, walnuts, tofu, and other soybean products; flaxseed and flaxseed oil; and canola oil.
- Iron-rich foods like lean red meat, eggs, green leafy vegetables, pulses (peas, beans, and lentils), and fortified breakfast cereals.
- Foods rich in calcium include milk, yogurt cheese, and other dairy foods, green leafy vegetables, soya drinks with added calcium, almonds and fish.
- Vitamin C rich foods like Strawberries, citrus, cherry, guava, Tang, orange juice, grapefruit juice, Sweet red or green peppers, green chilies, hot pepper, coriander, cilantro, lemon peel, sundried tomatoes
- Consuming foods rich in vitamin D such as salmon, tuna, shrimp, sunflower seeds, eggs, and vitamin D-fortified milk products, provides protection against developing rheumatoid arthritis
Foods to be avoided
- Proteins may cause inflammation in some people and hence limit the intake of protein rich foods
- Avoid refined foods such as white bread, pasta, and sugar.
- Use healthy cooking oils, such as olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Reduce the intake of baked goods such as cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.
- Avoid caffeine and other stimulants, alcohol, and tobacco
Yoga and ExerciseRegular exercise consisting of aerobic exercise, strengthening exercises, and flexibility or range-of-motion exercises can help to maintain joint motion and strength
- Exercises like walking, swimming, warm-water exercise, or biking can be done by people with RA.
- Weight-bearing exercises such as lifting weights, push-ups can be done
Music and MeditationA regular practice of pranayama (breathing exercises – watch video ) and meditation ( watch video ) balances the immune system
- A healthy weight should be maintained
- Regular exercises should be done regardless of the age
- Avoid activities that cause too much strain to the joints
- Heat and cold therapy such as hot compresses, cold packs, ice massage can relieve the pain and inflammation
- Rest or reduce the stress on the painful joint