Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Calcium-rich dairy products are very important for a person with osteoarthritis like low- or no-fat milk, cheese and yogurt.
- Vitamin C rich foods like citrus fruits, strawberries, peppers, kiwi, cantaloupe, green-leafy vegetables, cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, and pineapple.
- Foods with Beta-carotene like red, yellow, and orange fruits and vegetables (pumpkin, cantaloupe, peppers, carrots) and many dark-green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, Romaine lettuce).
- Foods like Fortified milk and cereals, eggs, tuna, and fish-liver oils all help the body obtain vitamin D.
- Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids like cold-water fish (such as salmon, tuna and sardines), pecans, walnuts, soy foods (tofu, soybean oil), olive and canola oils, flaxseeds, and flaxseed oil.
- Refined and processed foods
- Limit intake of sugar products
- Avoid foods rich in fats like Fried and oily food, red meat, pastries and desserts
- Limit intake of salt
Yoga and Exercise
- Regular exercise strengthens muscles and improves flexibility and balance. It not only helps ease pain and stiffness but also improves overall health.
- Flexibility exercises to improve joint mobility, reduce stiffness, and help prevent tightening of the tissues around the joint.
- By strengthening muscles, you protect and support affected joints and improve overall function.
- Low impact aerobic exercises like bicycling, walking, swimming can be done.
- Avoid activities that put too much strain on the joints, such as running and sports that involve jumping, quick turns, or sudden stops — tennis and basketball
Yogasanas help to strengthen your bones and muscles, preventing the onset of this condition and provides relief from the pain
- Pranayama watch video
- Makarasana (crocodile pose) watch video
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose) watch video
- Vrikshasana (Tree pose) watch video
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose)
- A healthy weight should be maintained
- Regular exercises should be done regardless of the age
- Avoid activities that cause too much strain to the joints
- Heat and cold therapy such as hot compresses, cold packs, ice massage can relive the pain and inflammation
- Rest or reduce the stress on the painful joint