Food and Nutrition
Foods to be taken
- Eating 2-3 cloves of garlic in the morning along with the application of garlic oil can provide a fast relief from neck pain.
- Apple, garlic, ginger, and turmeric are anti-inflammatory.
- Foods with abundant Omega 3 and Vitamin E such as oil seeds, nuts and fish may also be helpful combat joint inflammation.
- Consume lemon juice three times a day along with a pinch of rock salt.
- Replace rice with wheat and add more bitter vegetables like bitter gourd and drumstick in regular meals.
- Fresh green and leafy vegetables should be taken. Salad should be always included in the meals. Spinach, carrot and beet juices should also be taken.
Foods to be avoided
- Fried foods, spicy, oily foods, excessive meats and refined foods like sweets, confectionery, bread, and other refined wheat products are the main incriminating factors in joint diseases.
- Acid-building foods along with red meat, citrus vegetables, and even white potatoes. Accumulation of acid in your body can signal joint puffiness and worsen Cervical Spondylosis.
Yoga and Exercise
The best exercises for the health of the cervical spine are low-impact activities, such as swimming, walking, or yoga.
- Slowly turn your head to the right until it hurts, hold, and return it to the centre. Do the same to the left.
- Drop your chin down slowly towards your chest, hold, and relax. Bring your head back up.
- Tilt your head straight over towards your left ear, hold, and return it to the centre. Do the same on the right side.
- Tilt your head backwards so you can see the ceiling, hold, and then bring your head back down.
- Do not hold your breath as you do these. For each exercise, press for 5-6 counts, and then relax.
- Press your forehead into your palms. Resist any motion.
- Press your hand against the side of your head. Try to bring your ear to the shoulder, but resist any motion.
- Press both hands against the back of your head. Try to pull your head up, but resist any motion.
- Press your hand against your temple. Try to turn your chin to your shoulder, but resist any motion. You can do all these exercises 5 times each twice a day.
- Sleeping Posture: Use firm mattress and keep your head at level. Use pillows which do not bend the back more than 15 degrees. Do not sleep on your stomach. It extends the neck. Sleep on your back or on your side
- Apply either ice or a heating pad to the neck for reducing the pain. Alternate cold and hot therapy is more effective than using either one.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers like Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) can be used to control the pain associated with Cervical Spondylosis.
- Soft Collars limit neck motion and allow the muscles of the neck to rest but that should be worn for short periods of time as long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles.