Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Knee pain foods to eat are vegetables and organic fruits, wild fish, organic nuts and seeds, coconut oil, extra virgin oil, and omega-3 eggs.
- Spinach contains a lot of antioxidants that can keep you away from osteoarthritis and knee pain.
- Spices like cinnamon, cumin seeds and turmeric contain powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger is another effective spice that helps in bringing down knee pain.
- Two vitamins in particular vitamin D and vitamin C helps with knee pain
- Vitamin C rich foods like oranges, bell peppers, grapefruit, strawberries and broccoli
- Vitamin D is obtained directly from sunlight as well as foods that contain vitamin D include Fatty fish, vitamin D fortified milk, yogurt, orange juice and cereal.
- Almonds, sunflower seeds and oil, safflower oil, hazelnuts, peanuts and spinach are all excellent sources of vitamin E. Vitamin E is known for its strong antioxidant powers.
- Animal fats and proteins
- Vegetables like potatoes, paprika, eggplant, cayenne, and green peppers
- Sodium and salt in your food as sodium can increase swelling and water retention, which can add pressure to the knees and bring about pain.
Yoga and ExerciseExercise keeps your joints from stiffening and provides needed support, making movement easier and reducing pain. Some exercises which help in stretching and strengthening the knee area include:
- Hamstring stretches
- Knee to chest exercises
- Quadriceps stretches
- Forward bend
- Chair squat
- Calf raise
Yoga asanas which reduce knee pain include:
- Supported warrior pose
- Rest and avoid activities that aggravate your pain
- Apply ice or heat pads which help with pain and inflammation
- Keep your knee raised as much as possible to bring any swelling down. Sleep with a pillow underneath or between your knees
- Wear a brace to keep your injured knee from moving too much while it heals
- Lose weight if you are overweight
- Try not to stand for long periods of time. If you must stand, do so on a soft, cushioned surface. Stand with an equal amount of weight on each leg
- When you sleep place a pillow between your knees when you lie on your side to help decrease your pain
- Wear flat shoes that are cushioned and comfortable