Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Omega 3 fatty acids rich in fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, soy are found to reduce the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
- Blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries all contain natural antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Complex carbs such as brown rice, whole wheat bread, and whole grain pasta boosts your brain production of serotonin, one of the feel good chemicals that squashes anxiety and helps you feel more in control.
- Caffeine, alcohol, sugar, salt and fatty foods
Yoga and Exercise
- Moderate physical activity for 30 minutes a day can help control mood swings.
- Aerobic exercise, like walking and running, works better on bipolar depression than weight training.
Yoga asanas which help:
- Viparita Karani
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or the Bridge pose
- Fish pose
- Childs pose or Balasana
- Savasana or the Corpse pose
Music and MeditationMood swings can be calm down by a simple meditation technique that involves sitting quietly and concentrating on their own breathing.
- Adopt lifestyle habits which help get good quality sleep, eat healthily, and become more physically active.
- Keep a regular routine, such as eating meals at the same time every day and going to sleep at the same time every night
- Try to get enough sleep
- Stay on your medication
- Learn about warning signs signalling a shift into depression or mania