Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Bitter gourd (karela), Fenugreek (methi), Indian blackberry (jamun), Garlic, Onion, Flaxseed, cinnamon solution, Fibre rich foods like apples, kidney beans, oatmeal, soyabean, etc, help control diabetes.
- Eat a healthful type of protein such as beans, fish, or skinless chicken
- Choose foods with healthful fats such as olive oil, nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), and avocados.
- Good fats such as Omega 3 and MUFA should be consumed as they are good for the body. Natural sources for these are canola oil, flax seed oil, fatty fish and nuts. These are also low in cholesterol and are trans fat free.
- Fruits high in fiber such as papaya, apple, orange, pear and guava should be consumed. Mangoes, bananas, and grapes contain high sugar; therefore these fruits should be consumed lesser than the others.
- Salt, sugar, fat, red meat, whole milk and its products like yogurt, tea and coffee, white flour and its products
- Avoid white rice, potatoes, carrots, breads and banana — they increase the blood-sugar levels. Replace these with whole grains, wholewheat or soya breads and unpolished rice.
Yoga and ExerciseEXERCISE
Regular exercise not only keeps you healthy but also improves insulin sensitivity
- Walk for about 30 minutes five or more times a week.
- You can also try swimming, biking, or any other moderate intensity activities even household work counts
- Stretching increases flexibility, lowers stress, and helps prevent muscle soreness
Some basic asanas and pranayamas to help control diabetes
- Sukhasana (Easy Pose) watch video
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist) watch video
- Tadasana (Tree Pose) watch video
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose) watch video
- Relaxation Shavasana (Corpse Pose) watch video
Pranayama (breathing exercises)
Music and MeditationSimple Meditation
Breath meditation ( watch video ) is the best meditation. If you find yourself easily distracted, try playing some soft, soothing classical or trance music in the background.
- Be physically active
- Follow a healthy meal plan and maintain a healthy weight
- Quit smoking or other types of tobacco
- Schedule a yearly physical exam and regular check ups