Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Drink plenty of water, can add a pinch of turmeric and ginger powder to it.
- Consume juices especially of citrus fruits as they have high vitamin C content – lemon, orange, sweet lime, pineapple etc.
- Consume hot soups, especially chicken soup.
- Take raw fruits and vegetables. Apple is good for cold, should consume at least one apple a day.
- Include garlic, ginger and onions in your food.
- Increase intake of vitamin A in your diet – all yellow fruits and vegetables contain Vitamin A. Meat, fish, kidney and liver, liver oils of fish like cod, shark, and halibut are richest source of vitamin A. If you are a vegetarian you can have fish liver oil supplements but because over dose can be toxic.
- Eating grapes atleast 50 grams daily helps in preventing coryza.
- Avoid milk and milk products – cottage cheese
- Avoid spicy food, eggs, sweets and cold refrigerated drinks
- Avoid cold drinks, cold water, ice creams and aerated drinks
- Avoid all food with preservatives and additives
Yoga and ExerciseDeep breathing exercises – slow, full breaths daily
Yoga asanas which will be effective include:
- Bhastrika pranayama
- Kaplabhati pranayama
- Anulom vilom pranayama
- In case of profuse water nasal discharge fluid intake should be increased
- Gargle with warm water, a pinch of salt and turmeric to sooth your throat
- Take a tsp. of turmeric powder thrice daily with hot water
- If the patient sneezes 5 to 7 times continuously, give him garlic to eat. It will provide relief from sneezing
- Hot foot bath can be done to ease out body musculature
- Go out for a walk in fresh air