Air pollution is making news again and it will get more coverage as the winter progresses. It generally starts around Diwali every year. Diwali the festival of lights – sadly, has been reduced to a festival of smoke and noise!
- 1 Air Pollution Making News
- 2 Common Sense to the Rescue
Air Pollution Making News
Particulate Matter tied to rise in Arthritis SymptomsRecent study from AIIMS, New Delhi reports heavy correlation between rise of particulate-matter PM25 and PM10 to autoimmunity and therefore symptoms of arthritis.
Fumes from Burning Garbage are 1000x more toxicThis news report simply quantifies that which should be a common sense. Burning of garbage – dry tree-leaves mixed with plastic, paper and other garbage – produces toxins such that an up-close exposure of 1 minute is enough to equal the whole day’s worth of exposure to polluted air!
Respiratory infections and breathing problems are a natural consequence of these.
Air Pollution tied to Strokes & Other Lifestyle DiseasesThe air-pollutants seem to be responsible for hardening of arteries, and therefore strokes – as per this report.
Common Sense to the Rescue
Daily CommuteTraffic jams, apart from burning garbage, are year-round source of air pollution. Some points to consider:
- You are more susceptible on a two-wheeler or in open vehicles like auto-rickshaw.
- Pollutants being heavier than air settle down close to ground – so exposure is somewhat less in a bus than being in an auto-rickshaw or two-wheeler.
- Cars with closed windows and air-recirculated are definitely better at a traffic-junctions – but do not forget to take-in fresh clean air by rolling down the windows!
- Cars’ AC air-intake is again at a lower height – and mostly directly behind the exhaust of the vehicle ahead! So air-quality from the windows is preferable!
- For short distances, walking is always much more efficient – you can avoid traffic-jam, parking-woes and the related exposure to pollution – and get some health benefits!
- Online shopping and food-ordering can help avoid unnecessary outdoor excursions! The time saved thereby is better used in exercising outdoors or, at least, in cleaner surroundings.
- Home air purifiers are becoming common-place. If your residence is particularly exposed to vehicular air-pollution then it is a serious option to consider.
- In the long run, the only sustainable solution is to detoxify your body everyday through exercise, hydration and eating right!