Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Bananas, white bread, white rice, and cheese (if you are not lactose intolerant), fruit juices, applesauce, smooth peanut butter, bland soft foods, crackers made with white flour, plain cereals, refined pastas, broth, canned varieties of fruit, cooked vegetables, potatoes without skin, fish, canola and olive oils.
- Eat antioxidant foods, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell peppers).
- Eat foods high in B vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, such as whole grains (if not bothered by fiber), dark leafy greens (such as spinach and kale), and sea vegetables.
- Eat ripe bananas, apples, curd, and pureed vegetables since they help to maintain optimum intestinal flora.
- Caffeine in coffee, tea and other beverages, fresh fruits and uncooked vegetables, high-fiber foods (such as fiber-rich breads, cereals, nuts and leafy greens), high sugar foods, skins, seeds, popcorn, high fat foods, spicy foods, raw foods, prunes, beans, large food portions, in some cases dairy products, ice-cold liquids (even water), and too much of any type of liquid.
Yoga and ExerciseAerobic exercises like walking, jogging, dancing, cycling, swimming can be done once the symptoms get resolved.
It is especially important for people with Crohns disease to drink water before and during exercise to prevent dehydration. Avoid extreme changes in body temperature during exercise.
Yoga poses for Crohns such as
- Marichyasana and ardha matsyendrasana (seated spinal twist),
- Navasana (boat) and mahamudra (great seal)
- Sirsasana (headstand) and sarvangasana (shoulder stand)
Music and MeditationMeditation slows the breath, calms the mind and encourages relaxation. Center your mind on the subtle movement of your breath. On the inhale, trace your breath as it moves in through the nostrils, across the back of the throat and down into the lungs. Add a pause at the top of the inhale and repeat the process on the exhale.
- Eat five or six small meals a day rather than two or three larger ones
- Drink plenty of liquids
- Eliminate foods that worsen the symptoms