Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Foods for preventing conjunctivitis are green leafy vegetables like spinach, cabbage fruits and vegetables that are orange in color like oranges, carrots, papaya and mangoes.
- All fruits like apples, oranges, pears, pineapples, grapefruits and grapes. The one fruit that needs to be avoided is banana.
- Vitamin A provides valuable nutrition for the eyes such as eggs, fish liver oil and milk and dairy products, butter, carrots, pumpkin
- Valuable sources of Vitamin B2 are almonds, milk, green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits and tomatoes.
- Foods rich in Zinc like whole grains, dairy products, meat, poultry, fish should be consumed
- Vegetable juices and lemon juice are good for patients suffering from the pink eye
- The patient should avoid an excessive intake of starchy and sugary foods in the form of white bread, refined cereals, potatoes, puddings, pies, pastry, sugar, jams and confectionery, which cause the general catarrhal condition as well as conjunctivitis
- He/she should also avoid the intake of excessive quantities of meat and other protein and fatty foods, strong tea and coffee, too much salt, condiments and sauces
Yoga and Exercise
As conjunctivitis is an infection of the eyes, exercises for the eye may not be an effective solution as your eyes need rest.
- But the patient can perform certain eye exercises such as moving the eyes gently up and down, from side to side in a circle, clockwise and anticlockwise; rotating to side and in a circle and semi circles and briskly moving the shoulders clockwise and anticlockwise for relaxing and strengthening of eyes.
- Apply warm water compresses on the eyes
- For allergic conjunctivitis, apply cold compresses
- Stay indoors and avoid sharing your items with people
- Don’t rub the infected eye
- Save the eyes from dust and pollution by wearing dark coloured glasses
- Avoid makeup and contact lenses to eyes