Some simple-to-follow tips based on simple facts that can add up to make a big difference in your life.
SugarOne spoonful (5mg) contains 20 calories. Check your daily intake of tea/coffee – added sugar is the biggest contributor to calories and weight. Keep diabetes at bay!
- A gm of sugar gives 4 cals.
- 3 tsp everyday, for an year give 21600 cals.
- Burning 1g of fat gives 9 cals.
GheeGhee (dairy-fat) is part of Indian diet implicitly as part of seasoning and cooking of vegetables, pulses, pulao/biryani and other dishes. It is also used on chapatis, parathas, rice etc. to enhance the taste and flavor. And, of course, it is the biggest contributor to weight-gain!
- 1ml Ghee gives 9 cals
- 2 teaspoons (tsp) everyday, for an year give 32400 cals.
AlcoholAlcohol is the biggest contributor of weight in men. Cutting down on daily/weekly consumption can help you lose weight.
- 60 ml whiskey gives 150 cals
- 60 ml gin has 170 cals
- 300 ml beer gets you 150 cals (depends on alcohol content, of course)
SmokingSmoking is all round bad for everyone – active as well as passive smokers.
- Latest estimates say that a cigarette reduces your life by 12 minutes.
- A pack of 20 cigarettes is worth 4 hours of your life!
WalkingWalking is the simplest form of exercise. It gives you maximum returns considering how easily it can be incorporated in everyday life.
- An hour of walking at the pace of 6km/h burns about 350 cals
- An hour of walking at the pace of 4km/h burns about 160 cals
- An hour of walking at the pace of 8km/h burns about 520 cals
- Sitting burns 86 cals an hour
- Standing burns 132 cals an hour
- Shopping burns 204 cals an hour
- Gardening burns 300 cals an hour
- Running @ 11km/h burns 700 cals an hour!