Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Fresh fruit juices and fresh fruits
- Nursing babies continue on breast milk only, plus vitamins, especially C
- Bread, butter, oat flour- porridge, milk puddings, eggs, and minced meat
- Grape juice mixed with honey is also very useful in treatment of this condition
- A glass of hot ginger tea will help to loosen thickened mucus and phlegm within the respiratory system
- Add a small amount of chopped garlic to a glass of hot water and drink this liquid
- Almond oil blended with the juice of white onion and ginger can be a good remedy for whooping cough
- Processed and refined foods, pickles, condiments, coffee, tea, sugar and meats
- The patient should also avoid all products made from white flour and sugar, ice-cream, candies and soft drinks
Yoga and ExerciseExercise that is more vigorous than everyday activity will aggravate pertussis and delay your recovery from the illness. Get sufficient rest.
- Pranayama Watch video strengthen the lungs and increases the immunity of the respiratory system
Shavasana (corpse pose) can be effective as well Watch video
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama (Psychic Network Purification) Watch video
- Kapalbahati Pranayama (Frontal Brain cleansing breath) Watch video
- Bhramari Pranayama (Humming Bee Breathing) Watch video
- Let the patient rest in bed and use a cool-mist vaporizer to help loosen respiratory secretions and soothe irritated lungs and breathing passages.
- Keep your home free of irritants that can trigger coughing spells, such as tobacco smoke and fumes from fireplaces.
- To avoid vomiting after coughing, eat smaller, more-frequent meals rather than large ones.