Food and NutritionRecommended food:
- The foods which can be taken include fresh organic vegetables, quality animal products rich in vitamins A & D like fish, egg, fermented foods, home-made bone broth especially from chicken which is excellent for lung health.
- Foods rich in vitamin C like Fresh and dried herbs, green chillies, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Guavas, Strawberries, Papayas are to be taken.
- Ginger teas can cause relief from common cold.
- Having a combination of lemon juice extraction and honey in warm water is one of the most effective natural remedies for respiratory infections.
- Drink plenty of warm water so as to replace the fluid that you have lost and at the same time try to have hot herbal teas.
Food to be avoided:
- Avoid foods that weaken the immune system
- Alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, and tobacco
- Foods having a high fat content
- Citrus foods like oranges, grapefruit, mandarin, lemons.
- Hot and spicy foods
- Dairy products like cheese, milk, and yogurt
- Artificial sweets and white refined flour
- Raw foods (are foods that have not been cooked at more than 118 F)
- Refined and processed foods like chips, cheese snacks, sugary breakfast cereal, canned foods, frozen fish etc.
Yoga and ExerciseEXCERCISE
Those who exercise five or more days a week had a greatly reduced chance of developing a URTI compared with those who did little exercise.
Ideally, an individual’s weekly exercise regimen should consist of a balance between aerobic exercise, bending and stretching exercises, and strength building exercises.
Pranayama, an important aspect of Yoga, helps in strengthening the immune system, so chronic infections are less likely to occur.
Home RemediesIncorporate lifestyle habits that strengthen the immune system
- Stop smoking
- Stress management
- Daily relaxation
- Healthy exercise programme
- Healthy eating plan
- Wash hands appropriately