Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Fruits like oranges, apples and grape fruit and vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts should be taken. Fiber included foods should also be taken to prevent the formation of excess estrogen.
- A folate or folic acid deficiency may lead to melisma. Foods that are high in folic acid include citrus fruits, nuts, green leafy vegetables and whole grains.
- Eat foods that contain vitamin C and E. These antioxidant nutrients help repair sun damage to the skin that can cause melasma. These vitamins are found in foods such as citrus fruits, kiwis, nuts, almonds, brightly colored vegetables and in fish.
- Drinking a glass of orange juice in the morning could be a great defense against the spread of this skin condition.
- Tamarind, Spicy, salty foods and drinks, brinjal, alcohol and caffeinated drinks
- Foods high in sugar, gluten, and yeast
Yoga and ExerciseA regular exercise of any aerobic activity like walking, cycling, jogging can be helpful.
Yoga poses that help in fighting with these dark spots include:
- Surya Namaskar
- Bhujangasana or cobra pose
- Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand
- Drinking plenty of water can keep the body hydrated, as well as get rid of melasma
- Lemon juice can help individuals get rid of melasma, as the acidic nature of lemon juice can help in peeling the layer of the skin
- Try to limit your exposure to sunlight. Use a sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) at all times, because sunlight will worsen your condition. Sunscreens containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide are best
- Use gentle cleansers and facial creams