Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- It is best to have simple food which is not spicy and is easy to digest. If you are suffering from vomiting, have bread toast.
- The feeling of nausea or vomiting is controlled by citrus fruits like Lime, grapefruit, orange.
- Vegetable soup is good for the system.
- Buttermilk cools the digestive system and also prevents dehydration.
- Have food such as boiled potatoes, beans, carrots and celery or parsley. Even boiled or cooked pasta is easy to digest.
- Bananas are known for the soothing effect on the stomach. To treat gastroenteritis, have raw bananas or juice. Even apple juice, pears and sweet lime juice treat stomach flu.
- Have lots of water to prevent dehydration
Foods to be avoided
- Diary products like milk, icecreams, cheese and yoghurt
- Alcohol and caffeinated beverages
- Foods containing caffeine like chocolates, icecreams
- Spicy foods, nuts, seeds and popcorn
- Raw fruits and vegetables
- Foods high in fat or sugars
Yoga and ExerciseGastroenteritis is cured by plenty of bed rest and fluids and hence no excercises are recommended. The person can do slight walking. Asanas which reduce diarrhoea
- Parvritta Trikonasana (Revolved triangle pose) watch video
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind releaving pose) watch video
- Vajrasana (Thunder bolt Pose) watch video
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
Music and MeditationMeditation for Gastroenteritis: Reducing stress with meditation can prevent the production of gastric acid that further irritates an inflamed stomach.
- Rest at home until symptoms subside
- Allow your gastrointestinal tract to settle by not eating for a few hours
- Suck on ice chips to get relief from vomiting