- Always wash your hands regularly and maintain hygienic conditions
- Eat properly prepared and stored food.
- Get vaccinated (Vaccinations for Vibrio cholerae, and rotavirus have been developed)
- Keep your surroundings clean and germ-free. Disinfect dirty surfaces with chlorine bleach-based cleaners.
- Avoid eating food and beverages from street vendors. It is always safe to eat meals that are prepared at home.
- Make sure that the water you drink have been boiled or treated with chlorine or iodine.
- Avoid milk, meat, or egg-based food that has been left unrefrigerated. You are not sure whether or not the food has been contaminated.
- Exercise regularly. A healthier body is the best shield against all forms of diseases.
- Some forms of gastroenteritis caused by emotional problems may be prevented by trying to reduce stress.
- High fever
- Abdominal pain
When to See DoctorConsult a doctor if you have
- A high fever above 101 F
- Blood or pus in your stool
- Severe diarrhea or vomiting
- Symptoms of significant dehydration, including dry mouth, intense thirst, and weakness