Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- The knee-friendliest fruits appear to be vitamin C?packed ones, like kiwi, orange, mango, grapefruit, and papaya. The vitamin C in fruit protects the knee joint and supporting structures.
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish may block not only the chemicals that cause inflammation in osteoarthritis but also the proteins known to wear down knee cartilage. So eat two servings of oily fish (such as mackerel or salmon) weekly.
- Eat a nutritious diet with enough calcium and vitamin D, which helps your body absorb calcium. Calcium is found in dairy products, such as milk, cheese, and yogurt; dark green, leafy vegetables, such as broccoli; and other foods.
- Refined and processed food
- Limit intake of sugar products
- Avoid foods rich in fats like Fried and oily food, red meat, pastries, and desserts
- Limit intake of salt
Yoga and ExerciseExercises that involve less impact on the knees, such as swimming, cycling, or using an elliptical machine can be done. Few exercises for chondromalacia that your doctor may prescribe as part of physical therapy like:
- Iliotibial band stretch
- Hamstring stretch
- Hip abductor strengthening
- Straight leg lift
A low impact activity like Yoga can also help to strengthen your knees, improve flexibility and release pressure on the knees through various stretches. Some of the Yoga exercises for Chondromalacia include
- Janu-Sirsasana (Head to knee bend Pose),
- Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose),
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist Pose)
- All standing poses like Tadasana (Mountain Pose), Trikonasana (Triangle Pose), Vriksasana (Tree Pose)
- PRICE: Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. This helps reduce pain and swelling and can speed up recovery
- Limit running, instead, try swimming or cycling. If you want to run, ensure you are wearing good shoes with cushioned shoes, and stay off hard surfaces eg concrete
- Use ice regularly, and before and after activity can help reduce swelling and pain
- Regular oil massages with warm oil are known to be the best remedy for joint pain in the knee