- 1 Overview
- 2 Usage
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 How Do I Take It?
- 5 Precautions
- 6 Symptoms of Overdosage
- 7 Common Side-Effects
- 8 Serious Side-Effects
- 9 Rare Side-Effects
- 10 Disease Interactions
- 11 Technical Classification
- 12 Storage Conditions
- 13 Available Alternatives
- 14 Share this:
- 15 Like this:
- 16 Related Articles
OverviewSELEGILINE is a Schedule X drug.
Selegiline prevents the breakdown of a chemical in your brain called dopamine. Low levels of this chemical are associated with Parkinson’s disease.Selegiline is used together with other medicines to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.Selegiline works by increasing the amount of dopamine, a chemical messenger that is needed to control movement in the brain.
UsageSELEGILINE is generally used to treat: Parkinson’s Disease, Depression
SELEGILINE can address symptoms like: Depressed Mood, Legs Difficulty Walking, Loss Of Coordination, Drowsiness, Body Loss Of Movement, Slurred Speech, Urine Leaking (incontinence), Fatigue (tiredness)
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Is it safe on my liver?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe on my kidney?
A: Not Safe
Q: Can I take it with alcohol?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe for children?
A: Ask your doctor
Q: Can it be taken during pregnancy?
A: Not enough studies to prove Risk – Ask your Doctor
How Do I Take It?SELEGILINE is generally taken With Food.
Route of Administration: Oral
- You should not use selegiline if you are allergic to it, or if you have taken fluoxetine within the past 5 weeks.
- After you stop taking selegiline, you must wait at least 14 days before taking any of the medications.
- Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
- Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Do not change your doses or medication schedule without your doctor’s advice.Selegiline capsules are usually taken twice a day, at breakfast and lunch. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
- The disintegrating tablet form of selegiline should be taken once a day before breakfast and without any liquid.
- Do not stop taking selegiline suddenly or you may have harmful side effects.
- Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking selegiline.
- Selegiline may impair your thinking or reactions. Some people taking this medicine have fallen asleep during normal daytime activities such as working, talking, eating, or driving. You may fall asleep suddenly, even after feeling alert. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Symptoms of OverdosageSELEGILINE over-dosage can result in: Hallucinations, Head Headache, Eyes Change In Vision, Fainting, Lightheadedness, Irregular Heartbeat, Restless Or Irritability, Dizziness, Weakness (generalized), Body Excessive Sweating, Confusion
Common Side-EffectsSELEGILINE : Muscle Pain, Joint Pain, Indigestion, Heartburn, Muscle Cramp, Skin Rash, Itchy Skin, Nausea, Abdomen Pain, Dizziness, Difficulty Sleeping, Mouth Soreness, Eyes Blurred Vision, Easy Bruising, Chest Pain, Decreased Urination, Labored Breathing, Difficulty Swallowing, Dry Mouth, Increased Thirst, Head Headache, Irregular Heartbeat, Restless Or Irritability, Loss Of Appetite, Mood Swings, Nervousness, Hands Numbness, Feet Numbness, Legs Shaking, Hands Shaking, Drowsiness, Mouth Swelling, Fatigue (tiredness), Difficulty Concentrating, Runny Nose, Sneezing, Back Pain, Abdomen Bloating Or Fullness
Serious Side-EffectsSELEGILINE : Blood Pressure, High, Loss Of Balance, Agitation, Hallucinations, Ankles Swelling, Legs Swelling, Difficulty Urinating, Easy Bruising, Black (tar) Colored Stools, Bloody Or Red Colored Vomit
Rare Side-EffectsSELEGILINE : Serotonin Syndrome, Pounding Heart (pulse), Stiff Neck, Body Excessive Sweating, Eyes Enlarged (dilated) Pupils, Eyes Sensitive To Light
Disease InteractionsSELEGILINE can interfere with: Hypotension, Psychosis, Acute Renal Failure, Hypertension, Acute Liver Failure, Skin Cancer
Technical ClassificationSELEGILINE is categorized as:
- DOPAMINERGIC ANTIPARKINSONISM AGENTS / ANTIPARKINSON AGENTS / CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AGENTS
- MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS / ANTIDEPRESSANTS / PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC AGENTS
Storage ConditionsRoom Temperature (Between 15 To 25 C)
Common Drugs with SELEGILINE as Ingredient
|ELDEPRYL 10MG TAB||SELEGILINE 10.0 MG|
|ELEGELIN 5MG TAB||SELEGILINE 5.0 MG|
|JUMEX 5MG TAB||SELEGILINE 5.0 MG|
|SELGIN 10MG TAB||SELEGILINE 10.0 MG|
|SELGIN 5MG TAB||SELEGILINE 5.0 MG|