- 1 Overview
- 2 Usage
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 How Do I Take It?
- 5 Precautions
- 6 Symptoms of Overdosage
- 7 Common Side-Effects
- 8 Serious Side-Effects
- 9 Rare Side-Effects
- 10 Disease Interactions
- 11 Technical Classification
- 12 Storage Conditions
- 13 Available Alternatives
- 14 Share this:
- 15 Like this:
- 16 Related Articles
OverviewESTRAMUSTINE is a Schedule H drug.
Estramustine is a cancer medicine that interferes with the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.Estramustine is used to treat metastatic or progressive Estramustine belongs to a class of anticancer/cytotoxic drugs called antimicrotubule agents. It works by interfering with production of certain proteins which are necessary for tumor cell growth and reproduction. It also increases the estrogen levels, which in turn interferes with prostate cancer by slowing/stopping the growth of cancer cells.
UsageESTRAMUSTINE is generally used to treat: Prostate Cancer
ESTRAMUSTINE can address symptoms like: Difficulty Starting Urine Stream, Difficulty Stopping Urine Stream, Frequent Urination, Frequent Nighttime Urination, Blood Or Red Colored Urine, Unable To Obtain Or Maintain Erection, Lower Back Pain, Muscle Stiffness
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Is it safe on my liver?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe on my kidney?
A: Check with your Doctor first
Q: Can I take it with alcohol?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe for children?
A: Not Advised for age < 18yrs
How Do I Take It?Route of Administration: Oral
- Use estramustine with caution if you have history of inflammation of vein caused by blood clot (thrombophlebitis), problems with clotting of blood (thrombosis or thromboembolic disorders), especially if associated with estrogen therapy.
- Exercise caution should if you have cerebral vascular disease (condition which can sometimes lead to a stroke) or coronary artery disease.If you are suffering from diabetes, your glucose tolerance will be monitored closely.
- You should regularly monitor your blood pressure as estramustine may result in high blood pressure.
- Tell your doctor if you have or had bone marrow disease, low blood cell counts, epilepsy (convulsions/seizures), high level of calcium in your blood, kidney disease, fluid retention, heart problems which can cause shortness of breath or ankle swelling, migraines.
- You should avoid receiving live vaccine while on estramustine treatment, as it may result in serious or fatal infections.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction such as sudden wheeziness, difficulty in breathing, swelling of eyelids, face or lips, rash or itching (especially affecting the whole body), increasing swelling, discomfort or discoloration of one or both legs chest pain or breathlessness.
- Do not take milk, milk products, or foods that contain large amounts of calcium including antacids within 1 hour before or 2 hours after taking estramustine.
- Both men and women should use effective birth control methods while using estramustine.
- Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Take estramustine on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
- Take this medicine with water, not with milk or other dairy products.
Symptoms of OverdosageESTRAMUSTINE over-dosage can result in: Difficulty Breathing
Common Side-EffectsESTRAMUSTINE : Anemia, Diarrhoea, Impotence, Leg Cramps
Serious Side-EffectsESTRAMUSTINE : Diabetes Mellitus, Seizure, Depression, Feet Swelling, Increased Thirst, Frequent Urination, Mood Swings
Rare Side-EffectsESTRAMUSTINE : Skin Rash, Blood Or Red Colored Urine, Bloody Or Red Colored Stools, Black (tar) Colored Stools, Head Headache, Lower Back Pain, Chest Pain, Pain With Urination, Groin Pain, Shortness Of Breath, Slurred Speech, Loss Of Voice, Arms Weakness, Legs Weakness
Disease InteractionsESTRAMUSTINE can interfere with: Hypertension, Thromboembolism, Hypercalcaemia, Abnormal Uterine Bleeding, Breast Cancer, Acute Renal Failure, Hyperparathyroidism, Acute Liver Failure, Asthma, Migraine, Seizure, Congestive Heart Disease, Diabetes Mellitus
Technical ClassificationESTRAMUSTINE is categorized as:
- HORMONES/ANTINEOPLASTICS / ANTINEOPLASTICS
- MITOTIC INHIBITORS / ANTINEOPLASTICS
Storage ConditionsRefrigeration (Between 2 To 8 C)
Common Drugs with ESTRAMUSTINE as Ingredient
|ESTRAM 140MG CAP||ESTRAMUSTINE 140.0 MG|
|X TRANT CAPSULE||ESTRAMUSTINE 140 MG|