- 1 Overview
- 2 Usage
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 How Do I Take It?
- 5 Precautions
- 6 Common Side-Effects
- 7 Serious Side-Effects
- 8 Food Interactions
- 9 Disease Interactions
- 10 Technical Classification
- 11 Storage Conditions
- 12 Available Alternatives
- 13 Share this:
- 14 Like this:
- 15 Related Articles
OverviewMETHOTREXATE is a Schedule H drug.
Methotrexate decreases the activity of the immune system and slows cancer cell growth. Reserved for conditions that cannot be treated with other medications.Methotrexate is used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.Methotrexate is an immunosuppressant. In rheumatoid arthritis, it works by decreasing the activity of body’s immune system. This decreases swelling, reduces pain and stiffness, and improves function. In psoriasis, it works by slowing down the rapid growth of skin cells.
UsageMETHOTREXATE is generally used to treat: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriasis, Head Cancer, Neck Cancer, Breast Cancer, Skin Cancer, Lung Cancer, Arthritis, Juvenile
METHOTREXATE can address symptoms like: Joint Pain, Back Pain, Fatigue (tiredness), Redness, Spinning Sensation, Hands Swelling, Dry Mouth, Pale Skin
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Is it safe on my liver?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe on my kidney?
A: Not Safe
Q: Can I take it with alcohol?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe for children?
A: Not Advised for age < 3yrs
Q: Can it be taken during pregnancy?
A: Dangerous – Studies indicate Human-Fetal Risk
How Do I Take It?Route of Administration: IM (Intra-Mascular), ,
- Methotrexate is usually not taken every day.
- You must use the correct dose for your condition.
- Do not use methotrexate to treat psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis if you have low blood cell counts, a bone marrow disorder, liver disease (especially if caused by alcoholism), or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You should not use methotrexate if you are allergic to it.
- Do not give this medicine to a child without the advice of a doctor.Take methotrexate exactly as it was prescribed for you Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets.
- Methotrexate is sometimes taken once or twice per week and not every day.
- You must use the correct dose. Some people have died after taking methotrexate every day by accident.
- Measure liquid medicine carefully. Use the dosing syringe provided, or use a medicine dose-measuring device (not a kitchen spoon).
- Your blood will need to be tested often, If you need to be sedated for dental work, tell your dentist you currently use this medicine.
- Do not receive a "live" vaccine while using methotrexate, or you could develop a serious infection.
- This medicine can pass into body fluids (urine, feces, vomit). Caregivers should wear rubber gloves while cleaning up a patient’s body fluids, handling contaminated trash or laundry or changing diapers.
- Wash hands before and after removing gloves.
- Wash soiled clothing and linens separately from other laundry.Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays, especially if you are being treated for psoriasis. Methotrexate can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and your psoriasis may worsen.
- Always take folic acid as advised by your doctor. This will help lessen the side effects of Methotrexate.
Common Side-EffectsMETHOTREXATE : Acne, Skin Rash, Itchy Skin, Diarrhoea, Dyspepsia, Stomatitis, Fever, Chills, Fatigue (tiredness), Mouth Soreness, Nausea, Abdomen Upset Stomach, Dizziness, Abdomen Pain, Back Pain, Eyes Blurred Vision, Confusion, Cough, Dark Colored (brown) Urine, Drowsiness, Head Headache, Pain With Urination, Lower Back Pain, Shortness Of Breath, Eyes Yellow Eyes, Easy Bruising, Vomit, Pale Skin, Loss Of Appetite
Serious Side-EffectsMETHOTREXATE : Anemia, Acute Liver Failure, Acute Kidney Failure, Black (tar) Colored Stools, Blood Or Red Colored Urine, Bloody Or Red Colored Stools, Bloody Or Red Colored Vomit, Joint Pain, Feet Swelling, Hair Loss, Decreased Urination, Chest Discomfort, Weight Loss (unintentional), Face Swelling, Swollen Lips, Eyes Swelling, Swollen Tongue, Arms Swelling
Food InteractionsIf you are receiving methotrexate for arthritis, you may want to limit your intake of caffeine-containing foods and products.
Disease InteractionsMETHOTREXATE can interfere with: Fungal Infection, Protozoal Infection, Viral Inection, Bacterial Infection, Acute Liver Failure, Alcoholism, Bone Marrow Suppression, Anemia, Acute Renal Failure, Pleural Effusion, Peptic Ulcer, Diarrhoea, Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Technical ClassificationMETHOTREXATE is categorized as:
- ANTIMETABOLITES / ANTINEOPLASTICS
- ANTIPSORIATICS / MISCELLANEOUS AGENTS
- ANTIRHEUMATICS / MISCELLANEOUS AGENTS
- OTHER IMMUNOSUPPRESSANTS / IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVE AGENTS / IMMUNOLOGIC AGENTS
Storage ConditionsRoom Temperature (Between 15 To 25 C)
Common Drugs with METHOTREXATE as Ingredient
|FOLITRAX 10 MGTAB||METHOTREXATE 10 MG|
|FOLITRAX 10MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 10.0 MG|
|FOLITRAX 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|FOLITRAX 15MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 15 MG|
|FOLITRAX 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|FOLITRAX 20MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 20.0 MG|
|FOLITRAX 20MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 20 MG|
|FOLITRAX 25MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 25.0 MG|
|FOLITRAX 25MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 25.0 MG|
|FOLITRAX 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|FOLITRAX 5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 5 MG|
|FOLITRAX 7.5MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|FOLITRAX 7.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|FOLITRAX AMP 15MG X1ML||METHOTREXATE 15 MG|
|FOLITRAX AMP 25MG X 1ML||METHOTREXATE 25 MG|
|FOLITRAX AMP 7.5MG X 1ML||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|FOLITRAX INJ||METHOTREXATE 20 MG|
|HITREX 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|HITREX 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|IMUTREX 10MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 10.0 MG|
|IMUTREX 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|IMUTREX 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|IMUTREX TAB 7.5MG||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|MEDITREX 10MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 10.0 MG|
|MEDITREX 15MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|MEDITREX 5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 5.0 MG|
|MEDITREX 7.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|MEREX 1000MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 1000.0 MG|
|MEREX 500MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 500.0 MG|
|METH 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|METHOCEL 1000MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 1000.0 MG|
|METHOCEL 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|METHOCEL 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|METHOCEL 500MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 500.0 MG|
|METHOCEL 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|METHOCIP 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|METHOCIP 50MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|METHOFAST 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|METHOFAST 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|METHOREX 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|MEXATE 10MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 10 MG|
|MEXATE 15MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 15 MG|
|MEXATE 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|MEXATE 5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 5 MG|
|MEXATE 7.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|MEXATE COMBIPACK 25MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 25.0 MG|
|MEXT 10MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 10 MG|
|MEXT 15MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|MEXT 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|MEXT 5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 5.0 MG|
|MEXT 7.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|MEXT F 7.5MG/1MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG, FOLIC ACID 1.0 MG|
|NEOTREXATE 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|NEOTREXATE INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|NEOTREXATE TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|ONCOTREX 10MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 10 MG|
|ONCOTREX 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|ONCOTREX 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|ONCOTREX 5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 5.0 MG|
|ONCOTREX 7.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|PSORIAX 5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 5.0 MG|
|REMTREX 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|REMTREX 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|REMTREX 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|RHUTRAX 15MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|RHUTRAX 7.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG|
|RHUTREX 10MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 10.0 MG|
|TREX 2.5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 2.5 MG|
|TREXOPAR 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|TREXOPAR 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|TRUXOFOL 7.5MG/1MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 7.5 MG, FOLIC ACID 1.0 MG|
|UNITREXATE 15MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 15.0 MG|
|UNITREXATE 50MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 50.0 MG|
|UNITREXATE INJ||METHOTREXATE 5 MG/ML|
|VIBZI 5MG TAB||METHOTREXATE 5.0 MG|
|ZEXATE 5MG INJ||METHOTREXATE 5 MG|