- 1 Overview
- 2 Usage
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 How Do I Take It?
- 5 Precautions for ISTAMET TAB and its Constituents
- 6 Symptoms of Overdosage
- 7 Common Side-Effects
- 8 Serious Side-Effects
- 9 Rare Side-Effects
- 10 Disease Interactions
- 11 Technical Classification
- 12 Prescription Statistics
- 12.1 How Frequently is it taken?
- 12.2 How long was it prescribed?
- 12.3 What is the break-up across patient age-group?
- 12.4 What is the gender-breakup across patients?
- 12.5 What kind of doctors prescribe this medicine?
- 12.6 Most common Medicines advised along-side?
- 12.7 Most common Diagnostic/Lab Tests advised along-side?
- 13 Available Alternatives for ISTAMET TAB
- 14 Share this:
- 15 Like this:
- 16 Related Articles
OverviewISTAMET TAB is a Schedule H drug.
ISTAMET TAB is composed of: METFORMIN (500 MG), SITAGLIPTIN (50 MG)
Metformin is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels.Metformin is used together with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.It works by lowering glucose production in the liver, delaying sugar (glucose) absorption from intestines and increasing the body’s sensitivity to insulin.
Sitagliptin is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. It works by regulating the levels of insulin your body produces after eating.Sitagliptin is used together with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Sitagliptin is not for treating type 1 diabetes.Sitagliptin is an anti-diabetic medication. It works by increasing the release of insulin from the pancreas and decreasing the hormones that raise blood sugar levels. This reduces the fasting and postmeal sugar levels.
UsageMETFORMIN is generally used to treat: Diabetes Type 2
METFORMIN can address symptoms like: Eyes Blurred Vision, Feet Burn, Weight Loss (unintentional)
SITAGLIPTIN is generally used to treat: Diabetes Type 2
SITAGLIPTIN can address symptoms like: Frequent Urination, Increased Thirst, Erectile Dysfunction, Armpits Scales On Skin, Feet Tingling, Fatigue (tiredness)
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Is it safe on my liver?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe on my kidney?
A: Not Safe
Q: Can I take it with alcohol?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe for children?
A: Ask your doctor
Q: Can it be taken during pregnancy?
A: Considered as Generally Safe – not enough studies to prove risk
How Do I Take It?ISTAMET TAB is generally taken With Food.
Precautions for ISTAMET TAB and its Constituents
- You should not use metformin if you have severe kidney disease or diabetic ketoacidosis.
- You should not use metformin if you are allergic to it.
- Take metformin exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Take metformin with a meal.
- Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow the tablet whole.
- Your blood sugar will need to be checked often, and you may need other blood tests at your doctor’s office.
- Your doctor may have you take extra vitamin B12 while you are taking this medicine.
- It may lead to dehydration; drink plenty of water to avoid this problem.
- Avoid excess dosage.
- You should not use sitagliptin if you are allergic to it, or if you have diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
- You may take this medicine with or without food. Follow your doctor’s instructions.Do not take two doses at one time.Sitagliptin helps to control high blood sugar level and avoid long-term complications of diabetes.
- Monitor your blood sugar regularly.
- Chances of weight gain and low blood sugar are lesser as compared to other diabetes medicines.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you have severe stomach pain, nausea, and/or vomiting. These could be symptoms of pancreatitis.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you have severe joint pain.
Symptoms of OverdosageSITAGLIPTIN over-dosage can result in: Body Excessive Sweating, Eyes Blurred Vision, Slurred Speech, Weakness (generalized), Confusion, Abdomen Pain, Seizures (uncontrollable Jerking Of Limbs)
Common Side-EffectsMETFORMIN : Diarrhoea, Joint Pain, Skin Rash, Anxiety, Depression, Night Terrors, Seizure, Change In Stools, Unusual Taste In Mouth, Abdomen Discomfort, Cough, Fever, Chills, Body Discomfort, Lower Back Pain, Drowsiness, Chest Discomfort, Confusion, Pale Skin, Labored Breathing, Head Headache, Body Excessive Sweating, Slurred Speech, Shortness Of Breath, Fatigue (tiredness), Body Loss Of Movement, Runny Nose, Sneezing
SITAGLIPTIN : Anxiety, Depression, Irregular Heartbeat, Night Terrors, Seizure, Upper Respiratory Tract Infections, Chills, Confusion, Pale Skin, Dizziness, Head Headache, Nausea, Slurred Speech, Fatigue (tiredness), Body Pain, Cough, Fever, Loss Of Voice, Throat Soreness, Sneezing, Runny Nose
Serious Side-EffectsMETFORMIN : Indigestion, Heartburn, Breathlessness, Eyes Blurred Vision, Rapid Breathing, Pain With Urination, Belching, Abdomen Bloating Or Fullness, Increased Passing Gas, Loss Of Appetite, Abdomen Upset Stomach
SITAGLIPTIN : Pancreatitis, Acute Kidney Failure, Muscle Pain, Hypoglycemia, Difficulty Breathing, Shortness Of Breath, Ankles Swelling, Loss Of Appetite
Rare Side-EffectsMETFORMIN : Difficulty Concentrating, Unusual Behavior, Restless (tossing And Turning) Sleep
SITAGLIPTIN : Skin Rash, Itchy Skin
Disease InteractionsSITAGLIPTIN can interfere with: Pancreatitis, Acute Renal Failure
Technical ClassificationMETFORMIN is categorized as: NON-SULFONYLUREAS / ANTIDIABETIC AGENTS / METABOLIC AGENTS
SITAGLIPTIN is categorized as: DIPEPTIDYL PEPTIDASE 4 INHIBITORS / ANTIDIABETIC AGENTS / METABOLIC AGENTS
Prescription StatisticsFollowing information is taken from treatment plans advised by our doctors. This is Only for informational purpose and you must seek doctor’s advice if you are not well.
How Frequently is it taken?
|2 Times Daily||46%|
|2 Times Daily (1-0-1)||35%|
How long was it prescribed?
What is the break-up across patient age-group?
|35 to 50yrs||7%|
|50 to 60yrs||16%|
|60 to 70yrs||40%|
|70yrs and above||37%|
What is the gender-breakup across patients?
What kind of doctors prescribe this medicine?
Most common Medicines advised along-side?
|PAN 40MG TAB||18%|
|RYZODEG FLEXTOUCH INJ||16%|
|TAYO 60K TAB||13%|
|DYTOR TAB 5MG||13%|
|AMARYL 1MG TAB||13%|
|AMARYL 2MG TAB||11%|
|URIMAX D TAB||11%|
|ECOSPRIN TAB 75MG||11%|
Most common Diagnostic/Lab Tests advised along-side?
|SERUM SODIUM (SEROLOGY)||30%|
|SERUM POTASSIUM (SEROLOGY)||27%|
Available Alternatives for ISTAMET TAB
What are the commonly available Substitutes?
|ISTAMET TAB||INR 308 for 14 TABLETS||METFORMIN 500 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50 MG|
|JANUMET 50/500MG TAB||INR 367.5 for 15 TABLETS||METFORMIN 500 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50 MG|
What are the other drugs with similar Ingredients?
|ISTAMET 50/1000 TAB||INR 359 for 15 TABLETS||METFORMIN 1000 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50 MG|
|ISTAMET 50/500 TAB||INR 348 for 15 TABLETS||METFORMIN 500 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50 MG|
|ISTAMET 50MG/1000MG TAB||INR 718 for 30 TABLETS||METFORMIN 1000.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50.0 MG|
|ISTAMET 50MG/500MG TAB||INR 348 for 15 TABLETS||METFORMIN 500.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50.0 MG|
|ISTAMET CP 100MG/1000MG TAB XR||INR 335 for 14 TABLET XR||METFORMIN 1000.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 100.0 MG|
|ISTAMET XR CP TAB||INR 335 for 7 TABLETS||METFORMIN 1000 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 100 MG|
|JANUMET 50/1000MG TAB||INR 375 for 15 TABLETS||METFORMIN 1000 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50 MG|
|JANUMET 50MG/1000MG TAB||INR 358.58 for 15 TABLETS||METFORMIN 1000.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50.0 MG|
|JANUMET 50MG/500MG TAB||INR 347.59 for 15 TABLETS||METFORMIN 500.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50.0 MG|
|JANUMET CP 100MG/1000MG TAB XR||INR 334.61 for 14 TABLET XR||METFORMIN 1000.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 100.0 MG|
|ZITA MET 50/500 TAB||INR 148.33 for 10 TABLETS||METFORMIN 500 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50 MG|
|ZITA MET TAB 50MG/1000MG||INR 160 for 10 TABLETS||METFORMIN 1000.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50.0 MG|
|ZITA MET TAB 50MG/500MG||INR 148.83 for 10 TABLETS||METFORMIN 500.0 MG, SITAGLIPTIN 50.0 MG|