- 1 Overview
- 2 Usage
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 How Do I Take It?
- 5 Precautions
- 6 Symptoms of Overdosage
- 7 Common Side-Effects
- 8 Serious Side-Effects
- 9 Rare Side-Effects
- 10 Food Interactions
- 11 Disease Interactions
- 12 Technical Classification
- 13 Storage Conditions
- 14 Available Alternatives
- 15 Share this:
- 16 Like this:
- 17 Related Articles
OverviewCAPTOPRIL is a Schedule H drug.
UsageCAPTOPRIL is generally used to treat: Hypertension, Kidney Infection, Heart Failure, Heart Attack, Congestive Heart Disease
CAPTOPRIL can address symptoms like: Head Headache, Eyes Blurred Vision, Chest Pain, Difficulty Breathing, Dizziness
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Is it safe on my liver?
A: Check with your Doctor first
Q: Is it safe on my kidney?
A: Not Safe
Q: Can I take it with alcohol?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe for children?
A: Not Advised for age < 6yrs
Q: Can it be taken during pregnancy?
A: Studies indicate Risk – Doctor advice is must
Q: Is it safe to take for someone breastfeeding?
A: Not Safe
How Do I Take It?CAPTOPRIL is generally taken Before Food.
Route of Administration: Oral
- It protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney diseases.Captopril can make you feel dizzy for the first few days. Take it preferably at bedtime and rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Let your doctor know about any dizziness, cough, or throat irritation that doesn’t go away.
- Captopril may cause the level of potassium in blood to go up. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Do not take it during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant while taking Captopril.
- You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to captopril or to any other ACE inhibitor, such as benazepril, fosinopril, enalapril, lisinopril, moexipril, perindopril, quinapril, ramipril, or trandolapril.
- You may also need to avoid taking captopril with aliskiren if you have kidney disease.
- Take captopril exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.Captopril is usually taken 1 hour before meals. Follow your doctor’s instructions.Call your doctor if you have ongoing vomiting or diarrhea, or if you are sweating more than usual. You can easily become dehydrated while taking captopril. This can lead to very low blood pressure, electrolyte disorders, or kidney failure. .
Symptoms of OverdosageCAPTOPRIL over-dosage can result in: Rapid Heart Rate (pulse), Dizziness, Fainting, Difficulty Breathing
Common Side-EffectsCAPTOPRIL : Insomnia, Anorexia Nervosa, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Dizziness, Stomach Pain, Irregular Heartbeat, Chronic Cough, Cloudy Urine With Strong Odor, Chest Pain, Irregular Heartbeat, Nausea, Fatigue (tiredness), Head Headache, Weakness (generalized), Dry Mouth
Serious Side-EffectsCAPTOPRIL : Fever, Hypotension, Hyperkalemia, Neutropenia, Persistent Cough, Acute Liver Failure, Fainting, Irregular Heartbeat, Throat Soreness, Fever, Chills
Rare Side-EffectsCAPTOPRIL : Skin Rash, Aphthous Ulcers, Kidney Infection, Blood Or Red Colored Urine, Jaws Pain, Arms Pain, Back Pain, Slow Or Irregular Breathing, Increased Thirst, Loss Of Appetite, Nausea, Body Excessive Sweating, Face Swelling, Fingers Swelling, Feet Swelling, Lower Back Pain, Weight Gain, Vomit, Weakness (generalized)
Food InteractionsCaptopril may cause the level of potassium in blood to go up. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
Disease InteractionsCAPTOPRIL can interfere with: Angioedema, Hyperkalemia, Hypotension, Drug Induced Liver Disease
Technical ClassificationCAPTOPRIL is categorized as: ANGIOTENSIN CONVERTING ENZYME INHIBITORS / CARDIOVASCULAR AGENTS
Storage ConditionsRoom Temperature (Between 15 To 25 C)
Common Drugs with CAPTOPRIL as Ingredient
|ACETEN 12.5MG TAB||CAPTOPRIL 12.5 MG|
|ACETEN 25MG TAB||CAPTOPRIL 25.0 MG|
|ANGIOPRIL 25MG TAB||CAPTOPRIL 25.0 MG|