What is selfie?Wikipedia defines A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a digital camera or camera phone held in the hand or supported by a selfie stick. A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media.
It is closely related to Narcissism. Narcissism means an excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one’s physical appearance. People with lots of Facebook friends more likely to be narcissists.
American psychiatric association named this disorder as selfitis. And it is defined as the obsessive compulsive desire to take photos of one’s self and post them on social media as a way to make up for the lack of self-esteem and to fill a gap in intimacy.
- Borderline selfitis: taking photos of one’s self at least three times a day but not posting them on social media
- Acute selfitis: taking photos of one’s self at least three times a day and posting each of the photos on social media
- Chronic selfitis: Uncontrollable urge to take photos of one’s self round the clock and posting the photos on social media more than six times a day.
- Selfish – Narcissists act selfishly and, even if being generous, are generally only responsive to their own concerns
- No rules – Narcissists feel that they are above others and that the rules don’t apply to them
- Inability to take criticism– narcissists have an inflated idea of their own importance, they can be quickly deflated by negative criticism
- Unilateral listening– Instead of listening in order to respond, narcissists listen in order to dismiss, negate, ignore, minimize or otherwise make someone else’s concerns irrelevant
- Refusal to take responsibility– Narcissists have a tendency to blame others for things that go wrong
- Angriness– Narcissists may become easily angered by critical comments or being ordered what to do
ConsequencesExcessive use of social networking may be connected to psychiatric problems like depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, addiction, body dysmorphia, narcissistic personality disorder, schizoaffective and schizotypal disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder etc.
Selfies are most common today, it is just a start. They may be replaced a new phenomenon called dronies i.e. drone taking aerial pictures on your command.
Observations and surveys reveal that
- There is a human desire to be recognized and appreciated
- We shouldn’t make those people closest to us ask for it.