Low blood pressure, also known as hypotension, is where blood pressure in your arteries is abnormally low. Generally low blood pressure is unlikely to cause any symptoms and is normally nothing to worry about. Low blood pressure treatment is usually needed if it’s causing symptoms like dizziness, fainting, fatigue, nausea, difficulty breathing, blurred vision, palpitations, and cold, clammy skin. This involves general lifestyle changes and treating any underlying cause of the condition. If you have naturally low blood pressure and it’s not causing any problems, treatment is rarely necessary. If your doctor suspects your medication is causing low blood pressure, they may alter your dose or advise using an alternative medication. If it’s not clear what’s causing low blood pressure or no effective treatment exists, the goal is to raise your blood pressure and reduce signs and symptoms. Depending on your age, health condition and cause of low blood pressure you have, you can do this in several ways.
Low blood pressure diet
- Eating small portions several times of the day helps in preventing the sudden drop in blood pressure that one may experience after meals.
- Carrots and beetroots are very effective in treating low blood pressure problems.
- Raisins are a good and effective home remedy for the treatment of low blood pressure. Soak some black raisins overnight in a bowl and eat them as soon as you get up in the morning. Chew on them slowly and make sure that you also drink up the water.
- Soak some almonds overnight. Peel them in the morning and grind them to a smooth paste. Dissolve a teaspoon of this paste in milk and have this along with your breakfast.
- Coffee has caffeine that spikes the blood pressure of a person. So drinking a cup or two of black coffee may actually do you a world of good and help to increase your blood pressure.
Yoga & Exercise for low blood pressureA regular practice like yoga can improve blood flow in the body and thus alleviate low blood pressure. The practice of yoga acts upon both the causes and the effects of low blood pressure, balancing the functioning of various systems of the body, improving the circulation and calming your mind.
- Kapal bhati pranayama
- Uttanasana (intense forward-bending pose)
- Pavana muktasana (wind relieving pose)
- Shishuasana or balasana (Child pose)
Home remedies for low blood pressure
- Increase your salt intake
- Plenty of water intake
- Wear compression stockings
- Limit alcohol intake
- Small frequent meals which include low carbohydrates
- Elevate your head at night while sleeping
- Do not stand for long period of time