What is Acidity?The stomach normally secretes acid that is essential in the digestive process. This acid helps in breaking down the food during digestion. When there is excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach, it results in the condition known as acidity. Causes of acidity
- Eating heavy meals before sleeping
- Irregular meals like not having meals at a particular time
- Consumption of spicy and fried food and processed non-vegetarian food
- Excessive smoking and consumption of alcohol
- Regular intake of NSAIDS
- Burning sensation in the stomach
Home Remedies for Acidity1. Basil leaves:
- The soothing and carminative properties of basil leaves will give instant relief from acidity.
- It has anti-ulcer properties and reduces the effects of gastric acids in the stomach.
- Chewing 5-6 basil leaves will reduce the acidity.
- You can also boil few leaves in a cup of water and then sweeten it with honey and sip it.
- They are rich in potassium and maintain the acid level in stomach.
- Banana contains natural antacids that can act as buffer against acid in the stomach.
- It increases the production of mucus in the stomach which protect us from the harmful effects of excessive acid production.
- It has properties to stimulate the production of saliva which helps in better digestion and metabolism and it acts as an acid neutralizer.
- You can also chew few seeds of jeera to relieve acidity or boil it in water and drink the solution when it cools down.
- The ginger root aids in better absorption and protects stomach against ulcers by promoting mucus secretion and reduces the effect of acid in the stomach.
- You can chew a small piece of ginger or boil it in water, add honey or jaggery and drink the decoction.
- Cloves can decrease acidity due to their carminative properties.
- Eating crushed cloves and cardamom mixed in equal amounts can help to minimize acid trouble.
- It contains high magnesium content which helps in boosting intestinal strength and aids in digestion.
- It maintains the alkaline nature of the stomach thus reduces the acidity.
- Though it is acidic in nature it has an alkalizing effect thus maintains the acidity of the stomach.
- Mix one or two teaspoons of the apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink it before meals.
- It contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach.
- Add black pepper or coriander leaves in the butter milk and drink it.
- Drinking a glass of water mixed with a pinch of baking soda gives immediate relief from acidity.
- Milk has a high amount of calcium which absorbs the excess acid produced thereby reducing the symptoms of acidity.
Prevention:Acidity can be prevented by following methods:
- Don’t consume spicy foods.
- Eat small regular meals.
- Reduce stress.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Plenty of water intake