- 1 Overview
- 2 Usage
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 How Do I Take It?
- 5 Precautions
- 6 Common Side-Effects
- 7 Serious Side-Effects
- 8 Disease Interactions
- 9 Technical Classification
- 10 Storage Conditions
- 11 Available Alternatives
- 12 Share this:
- 13 Like this:
- 14 Related Articles
OverviewSILVER SULFADIAZINE is a Schedule H antibiotic.
Silver sulfadiazine is an antibiotic. It fights bacteria and yeast on the skin.Silver sulfadiazine topical is used to treat or prevent serious infection on areas of skin with second- or third-degree burns.Silver sulfadiazine works by stopping the growth of bacteria that may infect an open wound. This helps to decrease the risk of the bacteria spreading to surrounding skin, or to the blood where it can cause a serious blood infection.It stops the bacteria from producing folic acid, a nutrient required for bacterial multiplication.
UsageSILVER SULFADIAZINE is generally used to treat: Bacterial Infection, Yeast Infection
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Is it safe on my liver?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe on my kidney?
A: Not Safe
Q: Can I take it with alcohol?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe for children?
A: Not Advised for age < 2month
Q: Can it be taken during pregnancy?
A: Considered as Generally Safe – not enough studies to prove risk
Q: Is it safe to take for someone breastfeeding?
A: Not Safe
How Do I Take It?Route of Administration: Topical (Local Application)
- You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to silver sulfadiazine.
- Follow all directions on your prescription label.
- Do not use silver sulfadiazine topical in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.Wash your hands before and after applying silver sulfadiazine cream.
- The person applying silver sulfadiazine to burn wounds should wear sterile disposable gloves. Take care to keep the treatment area as clean as possible to prevent further infection.
- Clean the area to be treated as directed by your doctor.
- Apply enough silver sulfadiazine to cover the affected area evenly.
- This medicine should be applied in a layer about one 16th (1/16) of an inch thick, or 1.6 millimeters.
- Silver sulfadiazine cream is usually applied 1 or 2 times daily.
- While using silver sulfadiazine topical, you may need frequent blood tests.
- Your kidney function may also need to be tested.
- Your burn wounds should be kept covered with silver sulfadiazine cream at all times.
- Do not take by mouth. Silver sulfadiazine topical is for use only on the skin. If silver sulfadiazine topical gets in your eyes, nose, or mouth, rinse with water.Inform your doctor before starting silver sulfadiazine if you have a genetic defect of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase-deficiency.
- Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
Common Side-EffectsSILVER SULFADIAZINE : Skin Rash, Body Pain, Body Burn, Body Itching, Fever, Throat Soreness, Fatigue (tiredness)
Serious Side-EffectsSILVER SULFADIAZINE : Acute Kidney Failure, Acute Liver Failure, Anemia, Easy Bleeding, Blood Or Red Colored Urine, Eyes Yellow Eyes, Rapid Breathing, Rapid Heart Rate (pulse), Abdomen Pain, Decreased Urination, Mood Swings, Dark Colored (brown) Urine, Joint Pain
Disease InteractionsSILVER SULFADIAZINE can interfere with: Bone Marrow Suppression, Allergy, Asthma, Human Immunodeficiency Virus, Porphyria, Diarrhoea, Vomiting, Acute Liver Failure, Acute Kidney Failure, Urinary Retention
Technical ClassificationSILVER SULFADIAZINE is categorized as: TOPICAL ANTIBIOTICS / DERMATOLOGICAL AGENTS / TOPICAL AGENTS
Storage ConditionsRoom Temperature (Between 15 To 25 C)
Common Drugs with SILVER SULFADIAZINE as Ingredient
|BURNHEAL 0.5%/1% DUSTING PWD||SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1.0 %, CHLORHEXIDINE 0.5 %|
|BURNOSAF CRM||SUCRALFATE 7.0 %W/W, SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1.0 %W/W, CHLORHEXIDINE 0.2 %W/W|
|BURNOSAF PLUS 1%W/W CRM||SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1.0 %W/W|
|CHLODIN OINT||SILVER SULFADIAZINE , CHLORHEXIDINE|
|CLAVORA CRM||CHLORHEXIDINE 30.0 %W/W, ALOE BARBADENSIS 30.0 %W/W, SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1.0 %W/W, VITAMIN E 0.5 %W/W, ALLANTOIN 0.5 %W/W|
|SAFODERM PLUS 1% W/W CRM||SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1.0 %W/W|
|SILVADEX CRM||SILVER SULFADIAZINE 10 MG|
|SILVER SHIELD CRM||CHLORHEXIDINE 1 %W/W, SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1 %W/W|
|SILVER SULFADIAZINE CRM||SILVER SULFADIAZINE|
|SILVER SULPHADIAZINE CRM||SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1.0 %W/W|
|SILVEREX CRM||SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1 %W/W, CHLORHEXIDINE 0.2 %W/W|
|SILVEREX POWD||SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1 %W/W, CHLORHEXIDINE 0.5 %W/W|
|SILVEREX-AV CRM||ALOE VERA 15 %W/W, SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1 %W/W, CHLORHEXIDINE 0.2 %W/W|
|SLVRGEN CREAM||RECOMBINANT HUMAN EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR 10 MCG, SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1 %W/W, CHLORHEXIDINE 0.2 %W/W|
|SUFRATE SSD CRM||SUCRALFATE 7.0 %W/W, SILVER SULFADIAZINE 1.0 %W/W, CHLORHEXIDINE 0.2 %W/W|