- 1 Overview
- 2 Usage
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Precautions for NT GRAIN TAB and its Constituents
- 5 Symptoms of Overdosage
- 6 Common Side-Effects
- 7 Serious Side-Effects
- 8 Rare Side-Effects
- 9 Food Interactions
- 10 Technical Classification
- 11 Available Alternatives for NT GRAIN TAB
- 12 Share this:
- 13 Like this:
- 14 Related Articles
OverviewNT GRAIN TAB is a Schedule H drug.
NT GRAIN TAB is composed of: PARACETAMOL (250.0 MG), CAFFEINE (100.0 MG), PROCHLORPERAZINE (2.5 MG), ERGOTAMINE (1.0 MG)
Paracetamol is a pain reliever and a fever reducer. The exact mechanism of action of is not known. Paracetamol is used to treat many conditions such as a headache, muscle aches, arthritis, backache, toothaches, colds, and fevers. It relieves pain in mild arthritis but has no effect on the underlying inflammation and swelling of the joint.
Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. It works by stimulating the brain. Caffeine is found naturally in foods and beverages such as coffee, tea, colas, energy
Prochlorperazine is an anti-psychotic medicine in a group of drugs called phenothiazines. it works by changing the actions of chemicals in your brain. Prochlorperazine oral (taken by mouth) is used to treat psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia. It is also used to treat anxiety, and to control severe nausea and vomiting.
Ergotamine is in a group of drugs called ergot alkaloids.It works by narrowing the blood vessels around the brain. Ergotamine also affects blood flow patterns that are associated with certain types of headaches.Ergotamine is used to treat a migraine type headache.This medication will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent migraine headaches or reduce the number of attacks.Ergotamine should not be used to treat common tension headaches or any headache that seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches.Ergotamine is used in acute attack of migraine and Raynaud’s disease.Migraine headaches are thought to result from the dilatation of blood vessels in the head. Ergotamine works by constricting (narrowing) these blood vessels, thereby relieving the migraine headaches.
UsagePARACETAMOL is generally used to treat: Arthritis
PARACETAMOL can address symptoms like: Head Headache, Back Pain, Cold, Fever
CAFFEINE is generally used to treat: Migraine
CAFFEINE can address symptoms like: Weakness (generalized), Fatigue (tiredness), Drowsiness, Head Headache
PROCHLORPERAZINE is generally used to treat: Schizophrenia
PROCHLORPERAZINE can address symptoms like: Anxiety, Nausea, Vomit
ERGOTAMINE is generally used to treat: Migraine, Raynaud’s Disease Phenomenon, Cluster Headache, Postpartum Hemorrage
ERGOTAMINE can address symptoms like: Head Headache
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Is it safe on my liver?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe on my kidney?
A: Not Safe
Q: Can I take it with alcohol?
A: Not Safe
Q: Is it safe for children?
A: Not Advised for age < 1month
Q: Can it be taken during pregnancy?
A: Dangerous – Studies indicate Human-Fetal Risk
Q: Is it safe to take for someone breastfeeding?
A: Not Safe
Precautions for NT GRAIN TAB and its Constituents
Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma, bleeding problems, growths in the nose, heart, kidney or liver disease, liver inflammation, high blood pressure, chickenpox, anxiety, trouble in sleeping, ulcers, stomach problems, stroke, Kawasaki syndrome, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Avoid alcohol consumption. It should not be used in children with infections such as flu, chickenpox or viral infections. Avoid
While taking this medication
Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, central nervous system depression, liver problems, low blood pressure, increased eye pressure, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, tardive dyskinesia, bone marrow depression, involuntary muscle movements, Parkinson disease, Reye syndrome, prostate enlargement, seizures, alcoholism, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication. Avoid alcohol consumption. Avoid exposure sunlight.
- Do not take ergotamine and consult your doctor:
- If you are allergic to it or to any other content in the medicine.
- If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure or suffer from heart, kidney or liver problems.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding a baby.If you are a smoker.
- Ergotamine can cause drowsiness and anxiety (trembling, sweating) therefore, caution has to be taken before operating an automobile or machinery or engaging in activities requiring mental alertness and coordination.
- Using certain medications together with ergotamine can cause even greater decreases in blood flow than ergotamine used alone, which can lead to dangerous side effects.
- Do not take ergotamine if you are also using any of the following medications:conivaptan (Vaprisol), imatinib (Gleevec), isoniazid (for treating tuberculosis), or nefazodone (an antidepressant);diclofenac (Arthrotec, Cataflam, Voltaren, Flector Patch, Solareze);clarithromycin (Biaxin), erythromycin (E.E.S., EryPed, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin), or telithromycin (Ketek); clotrimazole (Mycelex Troche), itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Extina, Ketozole, Nizoral, Xolegal), or voriconazole (Vfend); heart or blood pressure medication such as diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac), nicardipine (Cardene), quinidine (Quin-G), or verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan); orHIV/AIDS medicine such as atazanavir (Reyataz), delavirdine (Rescriptor), fosamprenavir (Lexiva), indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), saquinavir (Invirase, Fortovase), or ritonavir (Norvir).
Symptoms of OverdosagePARACETAMOL over-dosage can result in: Loss Of Appetite, Nausea, Vomit, Abdomen Pain, Weakness (generalized), Upper Abdomen Pain, Dark Colored (brown) Urine, Eyes Yellow Eyes
CAFFEINE over-dosage can result in: Anxiety, Confusion, Frequent Urination, Irregular Heartbeat, Arms Muscle Twitching (painless), Ringing In Ears, Seizures (uncontrollable Jerking Of Limbs), Abdomen Pain, Difficulty Sleeping
PROCHLORPERAZINE over-dosage can result in: Drowsiness, Irregular Heartbeat, Agitation, Seizures (uncontrollable Jerking Of Limbs), Fainting
ERGOTAMINE over-dosage can result in: Nausea, Vomit, Chest Pain, Fingers Tingling, Weakness (generalized)
Common Side-EffectsCAFFEINE : Enterocolitis, Confusion, Dizziness, Restless Or Irritability, Nervousness, Depressed Mood, Fatigue (tiredness), Head Headache, Lightheadedness, Seizures (uncontrollable Jerking Of Limbs), Irregular Heartbeat, Vomit, Nausea, Frequent Urination, Difficulty Breathing
PROCHLORPERAZINE : Dizziness, Lightheadedness, Eyes Blurred Vision, Constipation, Dry Mouth
ERGOTAMINE : Muscle Pain, Dizziness, Spinning Sensation, Nausea, Vomit, Weakness (generalized), Restless Or Irritability, Difficulty Sleeping
Serious Side-EffectsPROCHLORPERAZINE : Agitation, Restless Or Irritability, Difficulty Urinating, Easy Bruising, Fever, Throat Soreness, Abdomen Pain, Eyes Yellow Eyes
ERGOTAMINE : Blood Pressure, High, Anxiety, Seizure, Sudden Numbness Or Weakness On One Side Of Body, Head Headache, Confusion, Slurred Speech, Eyes Blurred Vision, Loss Of Balance, Irregular Heartbeat, Legs Weakness, Abdomen Pain, Decreased Urination, Fingers Blue Colored Skin
Rare Side-EffectsPARACETAMOL : Skin Rash, Dizziness, Difficulty Breathing, Face Swelling, Body Itching
PROCHLORPERAZINE : Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, Skin Rash, Confusion, Fatigue (tiredness), Dark Colored (brown) Urine, Body Itching, Face Swelling, Difficulty Breathing
ERGOTAMINE : Acute Liver Failure, Acute Kidney Failure
- Nicotine may increase the effects of ergotamine in narrowing the blood vessels and decreasing blood flow.
- A severe decrease in blood flow to the brain and other parts of the body can lead to dangerous side effects.
- Grapefruit juice may increase the blood levels and effects of certain medications such as ergotamine.
- You may want to limit your consumption of grapefruit and grapefruit juice during treatment with ergotamine
Technical ClassificationPARACETAMOL is categorized as: MISCELLANEOUS ANALGESICS / ANALGESICS / CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AGENTS
CAFFEINE is categorized as: CNS STIMULANTS / CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AGENTS
PROCHLORPERAZINE is categorized as:
- PHENOTHIAZINE ANTIEMETICS / ANTIEMETIC/ANTIVERTIGO AGENTS / CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AGENTS
- PHENOTHIAZINE ANTIPSYCHOTICS / ANTIPSYCHOTICS / PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC AGENTS
ERGOTAMINE is categorized as: ANTIMIGRAINE AGENTS / ANALGESICS / CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AGENTS
Available Alternatives for NT GRAIN TAB
What are the commonly available Substitutes?
|NT GRAIN TAB||INR 23.75 for 10 TABLETS||PARACETAMOL 250.0 MG, CAFFEINE 100.0 MG, PROCHLORPERAZINE 2.5 MG, ERGOTAMINE 1.0 MG|