Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables such as cranberries, broccoli, strawberries, oranges, grapefruits, blackberries, blueberries, tomatoes, kale and spinach as vitamin C, a water-soluble antioxidant that strengthens your immune system, eases nerve pain.
- Omega 3 fatty acid rich foods like cold water fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, soybeans, canola oil and pumpkin seeds. As omega 3 fatty acids decrease inflammation in the body and prevent nerve damage.
- Drink plenty of water and other foods that contain water like oranges, broths, lettuce, herbal teas, peaches and grapes.
- Consuming limited amounts of lean meats can relieve nerve pain. Lean meats such as lean beef, fish, poultry, lamb and turkey are rich in vitamin B12, a water-soluble vitamin that improves immune system function.
- Foods that contain high levels of antioxidants include blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, tomatoes, broccoli, red grapes, garlic, spinach, carrots, pomegranates, dark chocolate and green tea.
- Limit sugary foods
- Avoid caffeine and caffeinated drinks
- Fatty and junk foods
Yoga and ExerciseSome of the neuralgia exercises that might be recommended include:
- Range of motion exercises
- Stretching classes
- Other low-impact exercises
Yoga asanas which help relieve neuralgia pain include:
- Ardhakati Cakrasana( Half waist rotation pose)
- Ardha Cakrasana( half wheel pose)
- Bhujangasana( cobra pose)
- Kapalabhati( forceful exhalation)
Music and Meditation
- Meditate- Sit in padmasana posture and concentrate on your breathing
- Relaxation music which calms down your nerves
- Try heat or ice to keep your neck muscles relaxed
- Roll a hand towel up and use this under your neck instead of a pillow
- Keep your head and face covered during sleep
- Try not to sleep on the affected side as that will worsen pain in the morning
- Hot tubs/baths can be wonderful for pain management