Food and NutritionFoods to be taken
- Excess insulin in the bloodstream can lead to a sharp increase in circulating androgen and insulin-like growth factor, which have been associated with hirsutism in women. Most non-starchy vegetables, legumes and fruit have a low GI rating.
- Chromium helps maintain normal blood glucose levels by making insulin more efficient. This will fight insulin resistance which is often associated with hirsutism. Good dietary sources of chromium include romaine lettuce, onions, tomatoes, whole grains, and potatoes.
- Eat antioxidant foods- fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell peppers).
- Use healthy oils in foods, such as olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Vitamin B6 can reduce the production of prolactin, a hormone that causes the male hormone to be taken up by tissues. This vitamin can be found in avocados, fish, organ meats, soybeans, walnuts, peanuts, bananas and other fruits.
- Vitamin E can normalize androgens and reduce the effects of testosterone. Wheat germ oil, almonds, sunflower seeds, safflower oil, peanut butter, corn oil, spinach, broccoli, mangoes and spinach contain this vitamin.
- Broccoli, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower contain Diindolylmethane, or DIM, which helps in re-balancing hormones.
- Avoid refined foods, such as white breads, pastas, and especially sugar.
- Reduce or eliminate trans-fat, found in commercially baked goods such as cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco
Yoga and ExerciseExercise at least 30 minutes daily, five days a week to keep yourself healthy and maintain a proper weight. This may include any type of aerobic activity like walking, jogging, swimming, cycling etc.
Yoga asanas to reduce unwanted hair growth include:
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Yoga Mudrasana
- Viparita Karani
- Shaving, waxing and bleaching are some of the temporary solutions to get rid of unwanted hair, which may not offer permanent solutions but help reduce hair growth.
- Drink 6 – 8 glasses of filtered water daily
- Eat a balanced diet and get enough exercise to control weight
- Taking spearmint tea twice a day for five days can reduce levels of male sex hormones