Food and Nutrition
Foods to be taken
- Eat a lot of carbohydrates which includes breads, cereals, grains, and pasta.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Vitamin E and minerals like selenium.
- Mushrooms, ginger extracts and garlic soups can be helpful.
Foods to be avoided
- Avoid excessive salt intake.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
Yoga and Exercise
Breathing exercises like pranayama, alternate nostril breathing and meditation increases oxygen capacity, boosts blood flow, balances the glandular system, strengthens the nervous system, and increases self-awareness, vitality and peace of mind
- Anulom vilom
- Shavasana or corpse pose watch video
NOTE Certain yoga techniques and inverted poses are to be avoided if the given conditions exist like extremely high or low blood pressure, glaucoma, detachment of the retina, ear problems, osteoporosis, cervical spondylitis, heart or lung disease, disc disease of the spine.
- Drink lots of water at higher altitudes, as the body tends to get dehydrated more quickly than usual.
- When hiking, especially uphill, take short, strong inhales and exhales. Do not take the long yoga breaths. Keep your attention on your breath.
- Make sure not to go too long without food. Nibble along the way but do not eat too much of any one meal.
- Always try to sleep at a lower altitude.
- If you are suffering with symptoms of mild acute mountain sickness (AMS), then rest at the same altitude.